Founded in 2012 by the beautiful and extremely talented Greek chef Krystina Kalapothakos from Sacramento CA, Kouzounas Kitchen is a popular foodblog with extra bite.
Kouzounas Kitchen is dedicated to Krystina’s yiayia (grandmother), Stavroula Kouzounas Kalapothakos.
She was a wonderful chef who made beautiful Greek recipes and passed these down to her son and then her granddaughter Krystina, who grew up learning how to carry on and adapt these cooking secrets.
Nowadays you might find Krystina cooking some Greek pastries or appetizers for her friends wine store in Davis called Cork It Again, and she has just started a new adventure at the Land Park Farmers Market in Sacramento every Sunday from 9am to 1pm filled with over 60 vendors of crafts and artisan foods.
There she showcases Greek pastries such as yiayia’s baklava, kourambiedes, Greek cheese sticks, variety spices and much more.
You can follow Kouzounas Kitchen on various social networking sites including:
You can also shop for Greek pastries and desserts from Kouzounas Kitchen on Etsy.
Below is just a sample of one of Krystina’s DELICIOUS recipes!
Mini Tiropita Bites (Cheese Pie Bites)
You will need:
- 1 Large muffin pan- lightly greased
- 12 Sheets of phyllo dough
- 2 Eggs beaten
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 Cup diced scallions
- 1 Cup cream cheese
- 3 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 Cup crumbled feta cheese
- Pinch of oregano
- Pinch of fresh chopped dill
- Cracked black pepper
- Sea salt
- In a large bowl, add eggs, olive oil, scallions, cream cheese, Parmesan, feta, and spices. Whisk together, and make sure ingredients are combined.
- Place oven temperature on 400 degrees or 200 Celsius.
- In a large muffin pan, grease the inside of the pan, and set aside.
- Prepare 12 phyllo sheets, and place over a damp towel to prevent from drying.
- Cut large circles out of the phyllo dough, per sheet. You should be able to get 2 circles out of each sheet.
- Place one circle into the muffin pan, and then lightly brush olive oil over the phyllo.
- Make sure that the phyllo hangs over the muffin tin. Then add another circle over this one. (Creating two layers.)
- Once you have filled the muffin pan, place a heaping tablespoon of filling into each phyllo cup.
- Take the excess phyllo and mold to the edge of the muffin pan.
- Bake in oven for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- To serve: Add fresh chopped dill over the top.
Kali Orexi!!! xoxo